Learning Croatian in Zagreb
Zagreb Immersion Courses
As the capital of Croatia, with growing economic importance in the region and a rich cultural history and thriving arts scene, the Croatian Language School offers one to one immersion courses from its centrally located school.
Immersion courses in Zagreb are offered throughout the year from standard to super intensive programs and students can choose to stay at the school’s accommodation or arrange their own accommodation independently. Prior to the language course, the tutor will discuss in detail the aims and requirements for the student and tailor-make the course to fulfil those course objectives but also ensure the daily schedule fits in with the student’s personal preferences and interests.
Standard Immersion Courses
All our individual language courses are tailor-made, organised in agreement with the student’s requirements and in accordance with CERF guidelines (Common European Reference Framework).
- ”Standard” – 20 lessons per week
- ”Semi – Intensive” – 25 lessons per week
- ”Intensive” – 30 lessons per week
Lessons are of 45 minutes’ duration and cost €50.00 per (one to one) lesson.
A minimum of 20 lessons per week is required to enrol.
Tuition during the week can start on any day from Monday to Sunday.
The Croatian Language School is situated in the heart of the city near many cultural sights and museums and close to the central train station as well as other transport links. We are surrounded by restaurants, cafes, shops and parks. It is a safe city with many pedestrian-only zones and green spaces, so students are able to explore much on foot in their free time.
Travelling to Zagreb
Zagreb’s state of the art Franjo Tuđman airport is 20 minutes’ drive from the centre.
As our students come from all over the world, the Croatian Language School offers assistance & recommendations concerning all aspects of their travel to reach us.
What can I expect to achieve?
Beginner (A1) and Elementary (A2)
A1 Beginner level:
- Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
- Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
A2 Elementary level:
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
Intermediate (B1 & B2)
B1 Intermediate level:
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
B2 Upper Intermediate level:
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Advanced (C1 & C2)
C1 Advanced level:
- Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning.
- Can express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
C2 Advanced Proficiency level:
- Can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read.
- Can summarise information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation.
- Can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations
Study can be completed in the mornings or the afternoons to co-ordinate with work commitments or personal plans.
Students can amend the teaching duration to suit their preferences, for example 90 minutes’ study sessions followed by a break.
Lessons can be shared with up to one other person.
Super-Intensive courses can be arranged for up to 50 lessons per week.
The Zagreb course can be combined with an immersion course at our Croatian Language School in Lošinj to provide a broader cultural experience of Croatia.
The Croatian Language School Zagreb accommodation is available for students and is based 15 minutes’ walk from the school. The flat is private with a fully equipped kitchen and bathroom and sleeps 2 people. It also includes Wi-Fi. The rate is €40/night.